Related Categories: Food Additives; Flavors (flavoring agents); Natural equivalents and artificial flavors; phenoxycarboxylic acids and aryloxyphenoxycarboxylic acid herbicides;
1.048 g/mL at 25 °C
3.72 (vs air)
0.3 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
3480 | O-CRESOL
Liquid or Low Melting Solid
Acidity coefficient (pKa)
white to brown
4.8 (20g/l, H2O, 20℃)
20 g/L (20 ºC)
Stable, but light and air sensitive. Combustible. Incompatible with oxidizing agents, bases.
95-48-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
Colorless crystals. Has a phenolic smell. Dissolved in about 40 times water (3% solubility in water at 40 ° C, 5.3% at 100 ° C). Soluble in caustic soda and almost all common organic solvents.
1. It is an important intermediate for pesticide herbicides. It is also used in the synthesis of coumarin. It can also be used as a disinfectant, a preservative, a diluent in the production of sebacic acid, etc.
2. For organic synthesis, also as a disinfectant and preservative
3. Used as an analytical reagent, also used in organic synthesis
4. GB 2760--1996 specifies the edible flavors that are permitted for use.
5. A diluent for the manufacture of the herbicide xyltetrachloride, the production of sebacic acid, a disinfectant, and a pharmaceutical intermediate. Also used in the production of resins, plasticizers, perfumes, dyes and analytical reagents for the determination of nitrates and arsenic acids.
6. O-cresol is an intermediate of the herbicide 2 methyl 4-chloro, and is also a raw material for epoxy cresol and phenolic resin.